Pikes Peak Crew Leader Training
Elise Moeller, Volunteer & Partnership Coordinator, 719-471-7736 ext. 4#, [email protected]
Registration for this event has closed.Volunteer Calendar
Take your volunteering to the next level by becoming a Crew Leader! Trained and certified Crew Leaders are able to support, in a big way, projects at their home parks and open spaces and in the greater Pikes Peak Region.
Now in its 5th year, Pikes Peak Regional Crew Leader Training is the premier local training for trail crew leaders. It is hosted in partnership by Rocky Mountain Field Institute, Friends of the Peak, Trails and Open Space Coalition, and the City of Colorado Springs Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services Department. This is an intensive 2.5 day training that gives committed trail volunteers the opportunity to "take it to the next level." You will learn how to lead safe, successful trail projects and develop basic trail construction and restoration skills. Training will take place at the Bear Creek Nature Center.
Pre-requisites to register:
- Training candidates must have participated in at least two workdays prior to the start of training.
Full certification as a Crew Leader requires the following:
- Register for and attend the weekend-long training program, Friday evening and all-day Saturday and Sunday, April 22-24.
- Complete two mentoring work days following the training (you will schedule your mentoring days prior to the end of the training weekend).
- Complete the City background check process. The background check is free of charge to the trainee.
- Certification will be renewed after each year that the Crew Leader leads at least one project.
- There is a non-refundable $25 application fee to cover materials and food for the weekend.
Please note: Application does not guarantee entry into the training. Applicants with prior volunteer trailwork experience and those actively involved with open space stewardship will be given priority spots in the training if space is limited.
2015 Crew Leader Trainees Practice Their Skills in the Field at Training