CX: Pikes Peak Crew Leader Training
Take your volunteering to the next level by becoming a Crew Leader! Trained and certified Crew Leaders are able to support, in a big way, projects at their home parks and open spaces and in the greater Pikes Peak Region.
Now in its 9th year, the Pikes Peak Regional Crew Leader Training is the premier local training for trail crew leaders. It is hosted in partnership by Rocky Mountain Field Institute, Friends of the Peak, Trails and Open Space Coalition, and the City of Colorado Springs Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services Department. This program, consisting of an intensive 2.5 day training and subsequent certification process, provides committed trail volunteers the opportunity to "take it to the next level." You will learn how to lead safe, successful trail projects and develop basic trail construction and restoration skills. The initial training weekend will take place at the Rec Center of the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (UCCS), as well as on the trail system of UCCS and Austin Bluffs Open Space.
- Training candidates must have participated in at least two trail or restoration workdays prior to the start of training.
- Training candidates must pass a background check administered by the City of Colorado Springs. (If you have questions or concerns about the background check requirements, please contact Elise Moeller at [email protected] or 719-471-7736 ext. 4#)
Full certification as a Crew Leader requires the following:
- Register for the training program, pay the $35 application fee, and submit to the City background check.
- Attend the full weekend-long training program, Friday evening and all-day Saturday and Sunday, on a later date to be announced. Please stay tuned for updates.
- Complete two mentoring work days following the training (you will schedule your mentoring days prior to the end of the training weekend).
- Certification will be renewed after each year that the Crew Leader leads at least one project, and renews their annual background check.
Weekend Training Agenda:
- Friday, June 12: 5:30pm - 8:30pm
- Saturday, June 13: 8:00am - 4:30pm
- Sunday, June 14: 8:00am - 4:00pm
- There is a non-refundable $35 application fee to help cover materials for the weekend.
Please note: Application does not guarantee entry into the training. Applicants with prior volunteer trailwork experience and those actively involved with open space stewardship will be given priority spots in the training if space is limited.