Rocky Mountain Field Institute stands with Black, Indigenous, and People of Color and condemns the systemic racism and violence that have been part of their experience for the last 400 years.
We are aware of the historic disparities in accessibility and use of public spaces and natural areas. We support a community where our open spaces are a welcoming, safe, communal space for all, and the stewardship of those spaces is a collective endeavor.
As an organization, we began collaborating on our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Statement earlier this year and will be finalizing and integrating this statement into every aspect of RMFI in the coming months. RMFI will build on this statement to develop a DEI Plan for the organization by the end of the year, a goal identified in RMFI's strategic plan.
Our DEI Statement will not exist as something we simply post on our website, check off our “list”, and then continue on with our mission without any additional changes. DEI will be integrated into our work every day in the community. Whether we are in the office, in the field, or at community events, we will work to do our part to dismantle systemic racism and discrimination by asking the tough questions and amplifying those voices who have been silenced for far too long.
Action items for RMFI:
- Intentionally seek out partnerships with BIPOC-led organizations
- Finalize our DEI Statement and then develop a DEI Plan by year end
- Provide implicit bias training to all staff on an annual basis
- Reiterate the importance of acknowledging the land’s history during community stewardship workdays
- Continue our work with Generation Wild and other initiatives to engage underserved youth and communities in hands-on environmental stewardship and outdoor education efforts
- Learn about and provide information on racism and genocide, which are part of the history of land conservation and preservation
We are committed to learning, listening, and engaging in critical dialogue. We will continue to update you, our community, on progress toward our DEI goals as we work diligently to ensure that our work and mission benefits all members of our society.